6 WEEK ACRO INTENSIVE – JULY 27-AUGUST 31, 2021
Bend With Mel summer classes are back for a fifth year! I can’t believe it has been 5 years since I started this venture! I wanted to create an opportunity for students to grow and be challenged in acro over the summer. There are tons of options of intensives in more classic dance styles but quality acro opportunities are much fewer and far between. I love getting to fill that void and share my passion for acro dance, flexibility, contortion, & tumbling with students that are eager to learn and push their acrobatic abilities to the next level. I am especially looking forward to this year’s classes after spending so much of the past dance season working virtually.
This intensive is geared towards experienced acro dance students. I prioritize safety, strong technique, and developing well-rounded, well-trained acrobats. We will work hard, have fun, and make some good memories!
All classes will take place at GymKyds Gymnastics Centre located at 421 Beaverhill Blvd, Winnipeg MB.
Covid-19 is still looming and makes planning group classes difficult. Please note:
- At this time I am accepting registrations and NOT payments. Register now and your space will be saved. I will send an email confirmation within 2-3 days of your registration. All registered participants will be emailed about making payment at a later date.
- For now I will only be accepting 10 students per class. I will create a waiting list for anyone unable to get a space and accept more students depending on public health orders. 10 is a number I feel confident will be allowed by late summer and I am hopeful group sizes can be greater than 10.
- Mask wearing & other safety measures will be communicated to registered participants prior to our start date based on public health orders at that time.
- All registered students will be emailed a waiver form to bring back signed before their first class.
If classes do not sell out I will offer the empty spaces for students wanting to do a drop in class. To request a drop-in please contact me by email (email@example.com) and let me know which day and class you are interested in attending.
|5:00-6:15||Intermediate Acro Group 1 (Ages 8-10)||$125|
|6:15-7:30||Intermediate Acro Group 2 (Ages 11-13)||$125|
|7:30-9:00||Advanced Acro (Ages 13 & up)||$150|
UPDATE (June 30th): Intermediate Acro Group 1 & Advanced Acro are both full with 10 students each. New registrations will be added to the waiting lists. Waitlisted students will have first access to any additional spaces I may be able to add. Intermediate Acro Group 2 has a two spaces remaining.
- Recommended for ages 8+. Younger students welcome as long as pre-requisite skills are met. Please register for the group your age (by the date of the first class) falls within.
In this class participants will build on fundamentals of Acro dance. Focus is placed on acquisition of basic tumbling, limbering, and balancing skills starting to move towards more advanced work, as well as improving strength & flexibility. Skills taught in this class will assure participants a solid base to work off of as they progress to more advanced acrobatic work. Come to this class ready to build a strong technical skills & good habits! This class is best suited for students working at Acrobatic Arts levels 4-7.
- Handstand against wall 30 sec
- 15 regular push-ups in a row
- 15 v-snaps
- Middle and square right and left splits within 6 inches of the ground
- Comfortable with headstands, chest stands, and forearm stands
- Bridge & recover
- Front & back walkover on at least one side
- 1 hand cartwheel on both sides with either hand
- Dive cartwheel
- Recommended for ages 13+. Younger students welcome as long as pre-requisite skills are met.
This class is best suited for seasoned Acro dancers with more advanced Acro capabilities. This class works to build strong technique, strength, power, & confidence in acrobatic tumbling while also refining limbering, balancing and flexibility skills. Come to this class ready to push yourself, perfect current skills & try new things. This is a chance to work on advanced Acro skills in a safe environment with trusted instruction. This class is best suited for students working at Acrobatic Arts levels 8 – Pre Professional 3.
- Handstand against wall (30 sec)
- 10 tricep push-ups in a row
- 25 v-snaps
- Middle and square right and left splits within 4 inches of the ground
- Chest stand, forearm stand, shoulder stand, and handstand in centre with straight legs (10 sec each)
- Handstand walking (6 feet)
- Front & back walkover (both sides)
- Able to do flying bridge or rolling tinsica from knees
- Past experience with side & front aerials*
- Past experience back handsprings*
*Students do not need to have these skills mastered already but should have at minimum past experience with them and be comfortable to try them with a spotter.
Questions? Feel free to contact me!
Please note that throughout the summer I will still be offering socially distanced outdoor private lessons by request. These are an excellent option if you cannot make the Acro Intensive classes or are not comfortable or ready to work with other students in a group setting as we still navigate Covid-19. For more information on private lessons please click here.